Message to Students
- To become a good professional, the student should be very clear in his/her ambition and set appropriate goals for themselves.
- The priorities for the day should be clear in the mind.
- Proper time management is very essential (with proper time management a student can easily have 3 hours of relaxation per day and read for 5 hours per day).
- Mind and body should be kept active. Priorities and ambition may be forgotten if relaxation (though important) is overdone.
- Attendance and internal assessment are two valuable tools to monitor the academic progress of a student. To avoid anxiety and tension before exam one should maintain a good record of attendance and internal assessment. Though 100% attendance is essential, 25% absenteeism is permitted to cover ill health and family commitments.
- It is advisable that students stay only in hostels. When in hostels, they are expected to abide by the hostel rules and regulations. It is mandatory for students to keep the warden informed of their visits to a friend or relative or if he or she is going to be away from the hostel for more than a day. Students should not keep costly and valuable items in the room.
- The behaviour of the student in and around the campus should befit the noble profession they have opted for. Lab coats (apron) should be worn only inside the campus.
- Talented students in the field of sports and cultural activities should identify themselves with sports and cultural committee of the college. Good hobbies should not be forgotten.
- Students should make an effort to learn the local language, as they have to deal with patients.
- During clinical postings, should behave appropriately when dealing with patients.
- Students are expected to observe the dress code of the University.
- Indiscipline will be dealt with as per rules and the nature of punishment can vary from suspension to dismissal from the institute.
- In case of ill health, students should attend the Manipal University Student Health Clinic at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal. While undergoing elective surgical procedures, students should keep the parents informed and it is always better that one of the parent is present during the procedure.
- In case of stressful situations students can contact Student Counsellor, 5th Floor, Health Sciences Library building or Psychology / Psychiatry Dept to cope with the stress.
- Manipal University has been declared as “NO SMOKING ZONE”. Students found indulging in smoking may be removed from the hostel and no refund of rent will be given.
- Any student involved in criminal offences on the campus and any indiscipline outside the campus will be handled by the concerned authorities as per the law of the land.
- The students are discouraged from indulging in undue risky behaviour. Swimming in the rough Arabian Sea has cost the lives of few students in the past. There is also no need to possess a two or four wheeler.
- The following are banned and severely dealt with:
– Drugs, drinking (liquor) and smoking
– Ragging & eve teasing
– Cheating, stealing, provocation, coercion, threats, pressure tactics & fights
- Appropriate stringent action has been taken to prevent ragging. Anti-ragging Committee, Anti-ragging Squad, Mentoring Cell, Surprise Check Squad are the committees which will oversee and take appropriate steps to prevent ragging.
Have a question? Ask us in our discussion forum.