Concept of indexing
Simply, index means indicator or guide. It is anything that indicates guides or points out something. In record management, indexing is defined as indicator or guide for locating, files folders or records. It is the list of names, subjects, or dates which indicate the exact location of letter and documents preserved in files and folders. It helps to provide required information in time. An index should not be confusing. It should be easy to access records.
- To indicate right position of files and folders
- To find files, folders easily
- To help in quick location of files and folders
- It provides future reference
- To increase efficiency of filing
Have a question? Ask us in our discussion forum.