Qualities of leadership
a. Personal qualities
1. Self-confidence: – a good leader must have self-confidence, must have sufficient enthusiasm and must be cheerful enough to enjoy the trust of his subordinates.
2. Dynamic personality: – a leader should be dynamic, cheerful and charming, must have sound health, cool temperament, conversational ability and decent behavior with tremendous stamina and vigor for hard work
3. Intellectual capacity: – a leader should have the ability to think logically, analyze accurately and interpret the problems clearly.
4. Take lead and initiative: – a leader should have the ability to take lead and initiative in times of risk, uncertainties and complexities for prompt decision
5. Emotional stability: – a leader should have balanced temperament to overcome moodiness, disappointment and inconsistency.
6. Flexibility: – a leader should be flexible enough to accommodate other’s viewpoint and alter his decisions. Rigidity is only required in autocracy, change in decisions must be made with change in macro and micro environment.
7. Responsibility feeling: – a leader must feel or should bear responsibilities of all his decisions himself.
8. Communication skill: – the leader must be able to communicate with subordinates. The leader must communicate the information from his level to the down level. Communication must be two way. Sop that both leader and subordinates will exchange Ideas freely
9. Far sightedness: – a leader should develop organizational planning and policies. When the leader is not far sighted all efforts may be worthless.
b. Managerial qualities
1. Technical knowledge: – a leader must have technical knowledge to provide the guidelines about the work of the subordinates which helps the leader to take right decisions at right time.
2. Organizing abilities: – all the resources, employees, people, business environment, methods, capital, manpower should be arranged properly by a leader to achieve organizational goals in a proper way.
3. Power of judgment: – a leader should have the power of judgment which comes from self-confidence and self-control. Even if there are several followers and several decisions the leader must judge and decide the case.
4. Enthusiasm: – the leader must be devoted towards the organization. A devoted leader can conduct the activities successfully.
5. Ability to guide and teach: – it is the task of leader to get the best from others. A leader must know how to guide and teach the followers to make them convinced.
6. Human relations: – leadership is related to inspire and encourage the people when there is good relation between leader and follower. The followers are easily influenced. So, a leader must be able to win the confidence and loyalty of people.
Have a question? Ask us in our discussion forum.